From Tri-State Normal College to Trine University
129 Years of Higher Education
1884—Tri-State Normal College founded by residents of Angola, Ind., as an independent, co-educational institution with two departments: Literary and Commercial.
1884—The Commerce Building, now known as Taylor Hall, is completed.
1887—The Administration Building, once known as Sniff Administration Building and now renovated as C.W. Sponsel Administration Center, is completed at a cost of $15,000.
1902—The School of Engineering is established.
1906—TSNC reorganizes as Tri-State College.
1908—The Recitation Building, now known as Shambaugh Hall, is completed.
1922—President Littleton M. Sniff dies in office. His leadership of the school was divided into two terms, from 1885 to 1909, and from 1910 until his death (during the break, Sniff resigned and moved to California). Although Sniff was not at Tri-State’s founding, his dedication, vision and sacrifice has firmly set him in the University’s mind as the Father of Tri-State.
1930—Fire guts the Administration Building. When rebuilt, the third floor is removed.
1959—The History of Tri-State College 1884-1956, a history by Professor Emeritus Dr. Allice Parrot, is published.
1960s—Following a trend set by other American universities and in response to exploding Baby Boom enrollment, Tri-State experiences a building boom. During this decade, the school will build the Perry T. Ford Library, seven residence halls, Best Hall and Hershey Hall.
1967—The sports teams’ nickname changes from the Tri-State Engineers to the Tri-State Trojans.
1971—Zollner Golf Course opens.
1975—Tri-State College becomes Tri-State University.
1984—From Carriage to Computer, the First 100 Years of Tri-State University, by Professor Elizabeth Orlosky, is published.
1988—Renovation of the Recitation Building is completed and the building is renamed Shambaugh Hall in honor of William D. Shambaugh, a 1930 civil and mechanical engineering graduate.
1990—The Tri-State Trojans become the Tri-State Thunder.
1994—TSU opens its Fort Wayne, Ind., campus.
1995—A Tri-State football team takes the field for the first time since the early 1900s.
1996—TSU hosts the NAIA Women’s National Basketball Tournament. The Thunder women advance to the Elite Eight.
1997—A $5 million renovation of Fawick Hall is completed.
1997—TSU opens its South Bend, Ind., campus.
1998—TSU opens its Merrillville, Ind., campus.
1998—The Angola Evening Program begins.
1999—Shive Field, TSU’s new football facility, is dedicated. The stadium is named in honor of TSU trustee Dr. Wayne Shive.
2000—Earl D. Brooks II, Ph.D., becomes Tri-State’s 16th president.
2001—Centennial Hall is renovated and renamed Forman Hall; the building’s grand entrance room is named Trine Welcome Center.
2002—TSU accepted for membership in the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA).
2002—TSU celebrates 100th anniversary of excellence in engineering.
2002—Witmer Clubhouse is renovated and expanded.
2002—TSU receives approval as a graduate degree-granting institution.
2003—Forman Hall addition completed providing space for the Office of Finance and Centennial Station (new coffee house).
2004—Tri-State attains an NCAA Division III provisional membership and becomes a full member of the MIAA.
2004—The $650,000 Ketner Sports Complex opens.
2004—Renovations begin on exterior of C.W. Sponsel Administration Center (Sniff Hall).
2004—Improvements to the campus boulevard and entryway, including landscaping and expanded parking area, are completed.
2004—The TSU Trine Villas open.
2004—Renovation and expansion of the TSU bookstore doubles the space and gives a badly needed upgrade and facelift to the library area.
2005—First graduate students earn Master of Science in Engineering Technology.
2005—The TSU Ingledue Villas open.
2005—TSU breaks ground for $15.5-million Rick L. and Vicki L. James University Center and Center for Technology and Online Resources.
2007—TSU launches Master of Engineering for civil and mechanical engineers, an entrepreneurship major, and music and robotics minors.
2007—The Rick L. and Vicki L. James University Center and Center for Technology and Online Resources, C.W. Sponsel Administration Center, and University Center, Moss Street, and Kinney Street student apartments (now Widmann Hall) are unveiled during the most successful Homecoming weekend ever.
2007—Ground breaks for the renovation of Shive Field and the addition of a football support building, fieldhouse with 200-meter indoor track, and improved parking, curbing, and restrooms for Thunder Sports Park.
2008—Construction on Golf Course Village, four new student apartment buildings on Zollner Golf Course, begins.
2008—Tri-State is renamed Trine University to better define its mission and direction.
2009—The Athletic and Recreation Center (ARC) is opened.
2009—Ground breaks for the construction of Fred Zollner Athletic Stadium and the renovation of T. Furth Center for Performing Arts.
2010—Trine Opens Master of Science in Biomedical Engineering.
2010—Trine Opens School of Professional Studies site at Logansport, Indiana.
2010—Trine Opens Fred Zollner Stadium.
2010—The Athletic and Recreation Center is named the Keith Busse/Steel Dunamics Athletic and Recreation Center.
2010—The annual Walter Cunningham Writing Contest debuts.
2010—The School of Professional Studies adds a Master of Science in leadership.
2010—Trine adds Women's Studies and an exercise science major.
2011—Trine dedicates the Metal Technologies, Inc., Health and Fitness Center, the Ryan Skywalk, Jack and Sue Shaw Press Box and Peerless Cleaners Thunder Deck.
2012—Trine forms Education One LLC, a charter school aurhorizer.
2012—Trine announces the opening of a new campus in Peoria, Ariz.
2012—The Depot Grill and TGear Store open.
2012—Trine hosts its first NCAA championship in golf.
2012—Innovation One, an incubator for ideas and bringing new ideas to market, is launched.
2012—A major in music is added.
2013—The School of Health Sciences is added and Trine announces its intention to offer a Doctor of Physical Therapy program.
2013—Commencement takes place outside for the first time since 1967, the ceremony was in the Fred Zollner Athletic Stadium.
2013—The Dr. R. Wyatt and Judy Weaver Soccer Field is dedicated.
2013—A Lifetime Guarantee is offered to the class of 2017, the guarantee states that students graduate in four years or get free tuition for the fifth year and receive annual increases in merit awards, among other highlights.
2013—The Jim and Joan Bock Center for Innovation and Biomedical Engineering is dedicated.