Director of Charter SchoolsEmployeeType: Full Time Location: Angola, IN Experience: Bachelor's Degree in an education, political science, or related field strongly desired. Equivalent of academic administrative experience and academic credentials may also be acceptable. Minimum three years charter school oversight, K12 operations, and/or non-profit organization experience required.
Did you know: U.S. News and World Report ranks Trine among the Midwest's Best Colleges.
The Director of Charter Schools will serve as the senior administrator of Trine University's Charter Schools Program, representing Education One LLC and Trine University. The functions and expectations of the position are to proactively support the vision of Education One and Trine University characterized as engaged, dynamic, growing, and adding value.
Under the direction of the Senior Vice President, the Director works closely with and/or manages others. The Director will work closely with departments located on main campus as necessary to ensure optimal coordination of services to students to resolve policy issues, develop effective and efficient processes, and organize and implement programs and activities designed to increase the success of charter school students.
The successful candidate will be dedicated to providing high quality service to all constituencies of Education One LLC. The incumbent will exhibit the highest professional standards and ethical principles and will be committed to the tenets of the University's Mission and Vision.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for coordinating and managing all aspects of Education One's charter schools initiative, including developing and managing the strategic vision of the charter school office, developing and overseeing the implementation of Education One's charter school authorizing practices, supporting the expansion and development of high-quality charter schools, overseeing the implementation of Education One's accountability system for charter schools, coordinating and managing the staff of the charter school team, and maintaining and managing the relationships with charter schools, regulatory agencies and the public.
- Oversees the charter school staff; when applicable, in all activities related to the implementation of Education One's accountability system and the ongoing governance monitoring of the charter schools, including the pre-opening process for new charter schools, the annual expert site visits to the charter schools, desktop monitoring, the development of the school-specific accountability goals for each charter school, the completion of the self-evaluations of schools, the multi-day site visit evaluations by outside experts, the administration and analysis of the annual charter school parent, staff and student satisfaction surveys, and the development of the Annual Accountability Report on Education One -sponsored charter schools which informs the public of the charter schools' performance.
- In conjunction with the university's communications staff, communicates with media on charter school issues.
- Stays abreast of all policy and legislative issues related to charter schools and charter school authorizing, and coordinates with Education One and Trine University staff and charter school stakeholders to inform broad policy or legislative issues.
- Maintains communication and relationships with all charter school related constituents, including the staff and boards of directors of charter schools, regulatory agencies (such as the Indiana Department of Education and the Indiana State Board of Accounts), charter school support organizations and other community organizations.
- Exceptional interpersonal and team leadership skills with a demonstrated commitment to high quality customer service and capacity to motivate and inspire workforce. Ability to work as an effective team member in a collaborative work environment, and a proven commitment to the values inherent to a culturally diverse workplace. Excellent initiative, communication, problem solving, time management, and proven follow-through skills. Must be able to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing with staff, academic administrators and other key university offices. Must possess a "can-do" attitude with a thoughtful and creative service orientation. Additionally, the incumbent must be poised under pressure and provide proactive solutions to problems and challenges.
- Direct supervision of other staff may be required.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and communicate effectively across functional areas and reporting lines. Must possess good judgment and sound decision-making capabilities, and a general knowledge of the principles, problems and methods of organizational personnel and fiscal management, the ability to carry out very tedious assignments without detailed instructions, the ability to advise the SVP, President, the Board of Education One and/ or other groups on various complex matters, and the ability to determine the appropriate course of action and proper techniques to utilize while engaged with individuals and/or groups.
- Sensitivity to cultural diversity and ability to communicate and interact effectively with people of all ages and diverse backgrounds. Proven ability to work effectively as a team player; highly motivated, focused and results oriented. Ability to exercise discretion and tact in all interpersonal contacts, and to maintain confidentiality at all times. Ability to maintain composure under high stress conditions. Ability to be optimistic, positive and supportive in all interactions with others. High level of accuracy and attention to detail. Demonstrated commitment to support a collaborative and cross-trained work place environment.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. An individual must be able to safeguard confidential and sensitive information. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Language Skills: Individual must be fluent with the English language.
- Mathematical Skills: Individual must possess adequate mathematical skills.
- Reasoning Ability: Individual must possess adequate reasoning skills.
- Computer Skills: Individual must possess above average computer skills with various software applications relative to this position.
- Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: None required.
- Other Skills and Abilities: Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are required.
- Physical Demands: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work Environment: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Trine University offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide a variety of choices to best fit your needs and the needs of your family. Benefits offered include:
- Health – medical, dental, vision, prescription drugs, flex spending or HSA accounts.
- Retirement – after one year of full-time service you are eligible for employer contribution of 5% and up to an additional 5% employer match.
- Life Insurance – a variety of voluntary life options are available along with employee life insurance (1 ½ times annual salary)
- Education – after 6 months of full-time service education benefits are available for employee, spouse, and dependent children.
- Vacation and Sick Pay – in accordance with Trine's policy.
See plan documents for benefit details.
Salary will be based on qualifications.