Help Desk Specialist
The Help Desk Specialist is a full-time position dedicated to providing customer service for Trine University Technology customers that include students, faculty, administration, and guests. The Specialist guides the customer regarding the use of a broad range of products, offerings, and services assuring customer satisfaction. The ability to work both independently and in a team environment providing call center services and desk side support is required. The position reports to the Help Desk Manager.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Provide telephone and desk-side end user support of technologies employed at Trine University.
Respond to and investigate Help Desk tickets.
- Use help desk ticket system and document progress for work performed.
- Provide identification, prioritization, resolution, and follow up of problems following guidelines and procedures.
- Consistently provide exemplary service as measured by customer feedback and performance against service level goals.
- Use communication appropriate to audience delivered in a friendly and courteous manner with consistent positive attitude.
- Install PC’s, printers, and software for individual users and computer labs.
- Manage the printer server and responsible for printers on campus in coordination with printer leasing company.
- Assist faculty, staff, and students with problems associated with personal owned PC hardware.
- Creates end user documentation and training sessions for faculty, staff, students and guests.
- Contribute to problem root cause analysis and assist with implementing countermeasures to reduce incidents.
- Recommend, build, and deploy hardware and software standards.
- Delegate and coordinate work for student employees.
- Participate in the implementation of help desk best practices.
- Share rotating on-call night and weekend support times to ensure timely, excellent customer service.
- Make independent decisions that ensure the success of the campus technologies and systems.
- Occasional travel to off-campus branch locations.
- Manage and support 15 student workers.
- Other projects/duties as assigned.
- 4+ years of experience in a Technology support role.
- Advanced knowledge and troubleshooting of personal computer technologies.
- Knowledge of networking topologies, including wireless.
- Exposure to Mac workstations in a windows domain.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to empathize with customers of varying technical skill levels.
- Work independently and in a team environment.
- Willingness to be available various evening and weekend hours to support the needs of faculty, staff, and students.
- Great attention to detail.
- Proven ability to handle multiple tasks in an organized fashion.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality with sensitive customer and internal information.
- Foster Trine University success through a professional appearance, being courteous to customers & associates, and by exhibiting a positive attitude
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science or related field.
- A plus Certification desired.
- Help Desk Institute Certification desired.
Trine University offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide a variety of choices to best fit your needs and the needs of your family. Some benefits offered include:
- Health – medical, dental, vision, flex spending, HSA accounts
- Life Insurance – a variety of voluntary life options are available along with an employer paid employee life policy valued at 1½ times annual salary
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Retirement – after one year of full-time service you are eligible for an employer contribution of 5% and up to an additional 5% employer match
- Education – after 6 months of full-time service, undergraduate education benefits are available for employee, spouse, and dependent children
The salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Review of applicants begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Trine University is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, national origin, genetic information, citizenship status, military status, or any other basis prohibited by law, unless such basis constitutes a bona fide occupational qualification. Trine will comply with its legal obligation to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and for religious beliefs.