Vice President for Development
Trine University (www.trine.edu) is accepting applications and nominations for the position of Vice President for Development (VPD). Reporting to the President and a member of the President's Cabinet, the Vice President is responsible for fostering a culture of philanthropy, while cultivating alumni, friends and donors to advance the financial growth and mission of the University. The VPD provides guidance and oversight regarding all matters related to fundraising and supervises and leads the members of the office of alumni relations and development.
- Serves at the direction of the President in all external and internal roles as assigned.
- Serves as a development officer, making calls on donors and prospects, both locally and nationally.
- Manages how donors and geographic areas are assigned to development officers, with special attention given for opportunities to connect the President to significant donors.
- Functions as the manager of the moves management system and calendar by which development officers prioritize their calls and cultivation of donors.
- Work closely with the President on fundraising and alumni activities.
- Assist the President, Vice Presidents, Deans, and others as appropriate in their development responsibilities.
- Manages and is responsible for the staffing and results in the areas of annual giving, capital campaign, planned giving, and corporate & foundation support.
- Manages the department budget for the alumni and development office.
- Represents the President on and off the campus as requested.
- Provides leadership and management to the alumni relations, events and development administrative operations staff and programs, developing talented team members focused on increasing constituent involvement and fundraising outcomes.
- Provides oversight of the Alumni Association Board.
- Acts in the best interest of the University in his/her public and private role, and will conduct him/herself with the greatest of integrity.
- Ability to analyze and interpret complex documents and respond effectively to sensitive inquiries or complaints.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, and government regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Excellent oral communication skills are required and the ability to effectively present information and respond to questions.
- Ability to calculate and report fund-raising figures and amounts.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Along with the President, has direct responsibility for raising the necessary funds annually and for all comprehensive capital campaigns.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university, Master’s preferred.
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) certification preferred.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of fundraising, with demonstrated success in the areas of annual capital campaigns, planned giving, major donor development and foundation and corporate relations (in higher education strongly preferred).
- Supervisory experience with fundraising staff.
- Successful experience in developing and implementing cultivation and solicitation strategies.
- Interest in all aspects of education and a dedication to promoting the University’s fundraising priorities through cultivating excellent relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a donor database.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Capable of travel, as needed.
Trine University, an internationally recognized, private, co-educational, residential institution, offers degrees in the arts and sciences, business, education, engineering and health sciences to over 4800 students. Founded in 1884 and accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, Trine operates a 400-acre main campus in Angola and educational centers throughout northern and central Indiana as well as campuses in Centreville, Michigan and Peoria, Arizona. Trine is proud of its reputation for preparing graduates who immediately contribute to employment positions (98.8% placement rate) in both the public and private sectors. Teaching is the first priority of the institution, and faculty members are expected to contribute to the University’s greater community.
Trine University is being assisted by the partners of Hyatt~Fennell. Nominations and applications should be submitted to Cheryl Hyatt at Trine@hyatt-fennell.com. Application materials should include a focused letter of interest, a current résumé, and contact information for five professional references, in separate documents. Applications will be reviewed as they are received and should be submitted prior to October 17, 2016 to receive full consideration. All applications and nominations will be considered highly confidential.
Trine University offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide a variety of choices to best fit your needs and the needs of your family. Some benefits offered include:
- Health – medical, dental, vision, flex spending, HSA accounts
- Life Insurance – a variety of voluntary life options are available along with an employer paid employee life policy valued at 1½ times annual salary
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Retirement – after one year of full-time service you are eligible for an employer contribution of 5% and up to an additional 5% employer match
- Education – after 6 months of full-time service, undergraduate education benefits are available for employee, spouse, and dependent children
Trine University is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, national origin, genetic information, citizenship status, military status, or any other basis prohibited by law, unless such basis constitutes a bona fide occupational qualification. Trine will comply with its legal obligation to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and for religious beliefs.