'The Odd Couple' set for March 19 and 21
By Catherine E. Porter
marketing and communication major ’16
The T. Furth Center for the Performing Arts will see its first stage production this month with a familiar story, Neil Simon’s “The Odd Couple.” Staged by the Trine University Drama Club, the performance offers playgoers an evening of entertainment plus an opportunity to check out Trine’s new venue, which opened in May.
“The Odd Couple” has been a hit since its 1965 premiere on Broadway, after which it garnered four Tony Awards. It was made into a film in 1968, a television sitcom from 1970 to 1975 and can be seen as a new CBS sitcom this year.
In the play, the boys have come together for their weekly poker game at Oscar Madison’s apartment, except one of their friends is missing. Felix Ungar arrives late, after having been kicked out of his house by his soon-to-be ex-wife. Oscar, a long-time divorcee and sports writer, invites Felix to move in with him. As the play develops, the compulsively neat Felix frustrates the slovenly Oscar.
“‘The Odd Couple’ is one of those classic stories about opposites. While in this case they do not attract, at least in the collision, they change for the better by mediating some of their extremities,” said Timothy Hopp, Ph.D., Drama Club advisor.
The cast includes:
- Brad Auld, a junior chemical engineering major from Crown Point;
- Austin Baker, a first-year informatics major from Greenfield;
- Karrie Keating, a first year biology/pre-med major from Lafayette;
- Tyler Marx, a junior social studies education major from Waterville, Ohio;
- Rachel Morris, a junior informatics major from Beech Grove;
- Robert Santos, a first-year civil engineering major from El Paso, Texas;
- Chris Vojtko, a sophomore mechanical engineering major from St. Joseph, Mich.;
- Dakota Zwick, a senior computer engineering major from Fort Wayne.
The show is student-directed by Alicia Dolan, a first-year chemistry major from Elwood. She is assisted by a stage manager, Casey DeMonia, a junior computer engineering major from Mishawaka.
“The Odd Couple” will be performed at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, March 19, and Saturday, March 21, in the T. Furth Center for the Performing Arts, Ryan Concert Hall. Tickets are free and are available at the door for everyone, or call 260.665.4860 for reserved tickets. Guests are asked to arrive 10 to 15 minutes before curtain time.