Student reaching for ice cream

Accessibility, Accommodations, ADA Section 504

Accessibility and Accommodations

A student with a documented disability who plans to request accommodations needs to self-identify with Trine concerning his or her disability by contacting Michelle Blank, Director, Academic Support at (260) 665-4179 or

Seven steps needed for completion to receive academic adjustments for a disability:

  • Indicate the need for academic adjustments by notifying Academic Support.
  • Complete the Accessibility Services Registration Form (203k) form.
  • Sign Authorization for Release of Information on the back of the application form.
  • Provide adequate documentation*.
  • Qualify for academic adjustments.
  • Complete a conference with Academic Support.
  • Schedule appointments with all professors during the first two weeks of the semester.
*Documentation typically includes: a diagnosis of the disability, an explanation of how the condition affects the student's ability to function in an academic setting, examples of academic adjustments that are recommended, and an explanation of how the disability relates to these adjustments. If the condition being documented is not stable, the documentation should be less than three years old. Documentation from a professional source such as a school psychologist, educational diagnostician, a licensed private psychologist, or a medical doctor may be required.

The provision of documentation does not guarantee that the requested academic adjustments will be provided. Trine University reserves the right to select among equally effective and appropriate adjustments that will provide the student with a disability equal access to its programs. In addition to providing documentation of a disability, the student needs to request academic adjustments by completing an application for disability support services.

Academic adjustments implemented depend on the disability of the student. Each circumstance is considered on an individual basis. It is important for the student with a disability to understand that academic adjustments will in no way lower or waive essential requirements of an academic program.

If the student's disability will impact housing location, please contact the director of housing, at 260.665.4646 for additional information.

The goal of Academic Support is to assist all students to become efficient, self-confident, and independent learners. Please call Michelle Blank, Director, Academic Support at (260) 665-4179 or for more information or to schedule an appointment.

ADA Section 504

Trine University honors ADA Section 504 and our coordinator is Michelle Blank. The coordinator's duties include the following:

  • Reviewing documentation for requests for reasonable accommodations (please note that requests for accommodations in student housing should still be presented initially to the director of housing, however, Michelle is available to consult on housing accommodation requests;
  • Accepting and assisting in investigating any grievances filed by students who believe they have been subjected to discrimination on the basis of disability;
  • Assisting in coordinating the efforts of the University to comply with Section 504 and related disability laws;
  • Maintaining data and assisting in preparation of notices and reports necessary for University compliance with Section 504 and related disability laws.

Section 504 grievance procedure

It is the policy of Trine University not to discriminate on the basis of disability. Trine University has adopted an internal grievance procedure document (87k) providing for prompt and equitable resolution of complaints alleging any action prohibited by Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (29 U.S.C. 794), or the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services regulations implementing the Act.