Assistant Professor of English
Assistant Professor of English
Full-time, Assistant Professor of English
The position of Assistant Professor requires an individual who can provide excellence in teaching, interested in both their students and their subjects. They must be committed to the centrality of a Trine University education. The Assistant / Associate Professor should have a broad understanding of appropriate academic programs and potential future directions; be flexible, visionary, creative and energetic; and want students to excel and take pleasure in their success. Fair discipline, attention to duty, and desire for self-improvement are expected traits of Trine University Faculty members.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Instruct English courses, assist with course development and program assessment, advise students regarding academic issues, provide service to the university in the form of committee work.
- Teach the standard faculty load of twelve (12) semester hours per semester or twenty-four (24) semesters per academic year.
- Post and maintain a regular schedule of at least ten (10) office hours per week – one office hour shall be scheduled per week for each credit hour of instruction.
- Provide instruction (teach class) for the class length listed in the official schedule.
- Prepare and grade a midterm and a final exam or project for each course.
- Provide each student with a course syllabus.
- Submit absentee and deficiency information to Academic Support Services via the Intranet site.
- Assist students with academic deficiencies.
- Advise prospective and current students about curriculum and career opportunities.
- Participate in developing or implementing the department strategic plan.
- The Assistant Professor will also be responsible and accountable for additional duties and assignments as prescribed by the respective Department Chair, School Dean, and Vice President.
- Associate Professor is expected to perform the above duties plus assist the Department Chair with scheduling and resource allocation issues; curriculum and laboratory development; and the collection and analysis of assessment data.
A terminal degree in English or a closely related discipline is preferred; Minimum qualification for the position is a Master’s degree in English or closely related discipline.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Professional work experience in an English related field;
- A demonstrated record of excellence and innovation in teaching;
- A commitment to service as a student advisor, student organization advisor, and active member of an undergraduate teaching team;
Salary & Benefits:
Full-time, faculty-line salary
Trine University offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide a variety of choices to best fit your needs and the needs of your family. Some benefits offered include:
- Health - medical, dental, flex spending, HSA accounts
- Life insurance - a variety of voluntary life options are available along with an employer paid employee life policy valued at 1 ½ times annual salary
- Vacation and Sick time in accordance to Trine's policies
- Retirement - after one year of full-time service you are eligible for an employer contribution of 5% and up to an additional 5% employer match
Are you ready to join Trine?
Trine University is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, national origin, genetic information, citizenship status, military status, or any other basis prohibited by law, unless such basis constitutes a bona fide occupational qualification. Trine will comply with its legal obligation to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and for religious beliefs.