Assistant/Associate Professor - Mechanical Engineering
Assistant/Associate Professor Mechanical Engineering
The position of Assistant Professor requires an individual who can provide excellence in teaching, interested in both their students and their subjects. S/he must be committed to the centrality of a Trine University education. The Assistant / Associate Professor should have a broad understanding of appropriate academic programs and potential future directions; be flexible, visionary, creative and energetic; and want students to excel and take pleasure in their success. Fair discipline, attention to duty, and desire for self-improvement are expected traits of Trine University Faculty members.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Instruct mechanical engineering courses (e.g. e.g. Thermodynamics, Fluid Mechanics, Heat Transfer, System Dynamics and Controls, Mechatronics, Measurements, Manufacturing Processes, Senior Design), advise students regarding academic issues, provide service to the university in the form of committee work. Do academic research with undergraduate students as well as industry supported research in collaboration with Innovation One, Trine University’s technology and business incubator initiative.
- Teach the standard faculty load of twelve (12) semester hours per semester or twenty-four (24) semesters per academic year.
- Post and maintain a regular schedule of at least ten (10) office hours per week – one office hour shall be scheduled per week for each credit hour of instruction.
- Provide instruction (teach class) for the class length listed in the official schedule.
- Prepare and grade a midterm and a final exam or project for each course.
- Provide each student with a course syllabus.
- Submit absentee and deficiency information to Academic Support Services via the Intranet site.
- Assist students with academic deficiencies.
- Advise prospective and current students about curriculum and career opportunities.
- Participate in developing or implementing the department strategic plan.
- The Assistant Professor will also be responsible and accountable for additional duties and assignments as prescribed by the respective Department Chair, School Dean, and Vice President.
- Associate Professor is expected to perform the above duties plus assist the Department Chair with scheduling and resource allocation issues; curriculum and laboratory development; and the collection and analysis of assessment data.
The ideal candidate will have expertise in thermal sciences, mechatronics, system dynamics/controls, robotics or advanced manufacturing and the ability to teach a variety of undergraduate mechanical engineering courses.
An earned doctoral degree in Mechanical Engineering, Robotics/Mechatronics, Engineering Education, or a closely related field is desired. Candidates with a Master’s degree in engineering and appropriate industrial experience will be considered.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS: Position requires a Master of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering or closely related field and industrial experience related to course to be taught.
Salary and benefits are highly competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Trine University offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide a variety of choices to best fit your needs and the needs of your family. Some benefits offered include:
- Health - medical, dental, flex spending, HSA accounts
- Life insurance - a variety of voluntary life options are available along with an employer paid employee life policy valued at 1 ½ times annual salary
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Retirement - after one year of full-time service you are eligible for an employer contribution of 5% and up to an additional 5% employer match
Are you ready to join Trine?
Trine University is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, national origin, genetic information, citizenship status, military status, or any other basis prohibited by law, unless such basis constitutes a bona fide occupational qualification. Trine will comply with its legal obligation to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and for religious beliefs.