Human Resource / Payroll Specialist
Human Resource / Payroll Specialist
The HR/Payroll Specialist will be responsible for providing human resources and payroll administration for the University. This position performs functions related to recruiting, on-boarding, payroll and record keeping. This HR/Payroll Specialist is responsible for the payroll functions of the University, ensuring pay is processed on time, accurately and in compliance with government regulations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Implements, maintains, and reviews payroll processing system to ensure timely and accurate processing of payroll transactions including salaries, garnishments, taxes and other deductions
- Ensures accurate and timely processing of payroll updates including new hires, terminations, and changes to pay rates
- Prepares and maintains accurate records and reports of payroll transactions
- Processes and reconciles bi-weekly payroll and submits payroll GL file to the business office
- Prepares bi-weekly 403(b) funding reports and process funding requests within TIAA
- Prepares miscellaneous bi-weekly payroll reports and distributes to departments
- Ensures compliance with federal, state and local payroll, wage and hour laws and best practices
- Coordinates internal and external payroll audits
- Audits HRIS data regularly to ensure accuracy of payroll data
Human Resources Administration
- Coordinates the recruitment process. Creates job postings, tracks status of candidates in HRIS, process background checks, drafts and sends offer letters
- Coordinates new hire orientation. Schedules appointments and meets with new employees for new hire paperwork and benefits overview.
- Coordinates the processing of new hires within ADP and prepares new-employee files
- Coordinates the part-time new hire process of the federal work-study program and internships for the University
- Prepares and maintains Assistant Coach compensation spreadsheet and drafts offer letters
- Track a variety of paperwork and data in database/spreadsheets (e.g. personnel actions, hiring paperwork, annual performance evaluations, etc.)
- Assists the Director in ensuring that fair employment practices are conducted in accordance with University policies and local/state/federal government regulations
- Participating in the development, implementation and evaluation of departmental goals, objectives and systems; recommends new approaches, policies and procedures to effect continual improvement in the efficiency of the department and the services provided
- Assist the Director with FLSA classifications and compensation of positions, including reclassification requests, prepares job descriptions, training and performance plans as required
- Manages personnel files, responses to HR and payroll audits
- Other projects and duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. This position requires an extremely detail oriented person with significant knowledge of payroll administration, including state and federal regulations. Must be able to safeguard confidential and sensitive information. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- A bachelor's degree in Human Resources, Accounting or related field and two (2) to four (4) years of Human Resources experience.
- Extensive knowledge of payroll functions including preparation, balancing, internal control and payroll taxes.
- Experience with ADP – Workforce Now is preferred
- Commitment to providing a high level of customer service
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to correspond internally and externally to a variety of individuals in a professional manner in both written and verbal formats
- Functional knowledge of Windows Operating System, Microsoft Office (Excel & Word), and general computer knowledge
- SHRM-CP or PHR Certification is preferred
Trine University offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide a variety of choices to best fit your needs and the needs of your family. Benefits offered include:
- Health – medical, dental, vision, prescription drugs, flex spending or HSA accounts
- Retirement – after one year of full-time service you are eligible for employer contribution of 5% and up to an additional 5% employer match
- Life Insurance – a variety of voluntary life options are available along with employee life insurance (1½ times annual salary)
- Education – after 6 months of full-time service education benefits are available for employee, spouse, and dependent children
- Vacation and Sick Pay – in accordance with Trine's policy
The salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Trine University is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, national origin, genetic information, citizenship status, military status, or any other basis prohibited by law, unless such basis constitutes a bona fide occupational qualification. Trine will comply with its legal obligation to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and for religious beliefs.