Lou Holtz Leadership Institute
Trine University is engaging with community outreach through continuing education programs designed to provide a broader opportunity to build real-world skills in the form of a corporate training and certificate programs, in shaping innovation networks, inspiring an innovative culture and management of innovation.
The Lou Holtz Leadership Institute (LHLI) will engage employees, community corporations, faculty and students in educational outreach programs to build an innovative culture and introduce best practices that seed outreach community innovation. Broad-brush live and online programs are being offered fusing the knowledge, spirit and skill-sets desired of innovative leaders. This program will fuel creativity, marketing and delivery of these invaluable leadership skills.
Included in the Program
Throughout this program, the participants involved will experience the primary areas of core leadership development. The following are included in the program:
- Credentialed instructors
- Valid training and development activities
- Personality assessment
- Lou Holtz customized philosophies of leadership
- Welcome from Lou Holtz
- Autographed book from Lou Holtz
- Industry leaders as guest lecturers
- Online web modules to promote continued learning and development
- Certificate of completion
- Boxed lunch
Centered around the teachings of Lou Holtz, courses range from areas of management and leadership that reflect upon human relations, engagement, communication and problem solving. Participants will have the opportunity to gain and utilize skills such as; critical thinking, strategic planning, succession planning and employee management.
At the completion of the Lou Holtz Leadership Institute program, leaders embark on a one day project oriented workshop and will receive a certificate of completion.
All that is required is an application and a letter of reference/nomination from the executive leadership team of the applicant's organization.
Questions and Registration
Leading Dynamic Teams
Following the core of Lou Holtz leadership style, and implementing the teaching of his Do Right training video, this
course is designed for individuals who want to improve their ability to develop and lead dynamic teams. Throughout this course participants will develop an understanding of team dynamics, what it takes to develop a team and why it is important to understand the personalities of team members.
- Discovering the depth of team personalities and how they work together
- Learn effective team communication
- Strengthen team knowledge and the dynamics necessary to increase productivity
Complex Problem Solving
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution.” (Norman Vincent Peale)
This course is designed to challenge participants to evaluate common workplace challenges using a structured problem-solving process in order to generate new and original solutions. This course will provide individuals with the knowledge, tools and techniques to be better at solving problems effectively and efficiently, and tackle them directly.
- Discover the problem solving process works and how to use it to solve a range of everyday business challenges
- Familiarize with identifying problems and planning ahead for prevention
- Learn and apply practical creative problem solving techniques in order to generate new and original solutions
Hot Topics in Managing Human Capital
Taught by a faculty experienced with HR, this course blends practical information with current trends to provide individuals the skills and the knowledge necessary to stay ahead in a today’s ever-changing, fast-paced business climate. Utilizing the leadership and direction of Lou Holtz’s Do Right 2 training film, professionals will learn practices and techniques for managing their human capital. Areas covered will include: performance management, fair employment practices and job analysis, descriptions and evaluation.
- Learn the value of performance management, and employee motivation
- Planning best practices to ensure fair employment and protection
- Comprehension of importance of defining job duties, analysis and descriptions
Time Management for Leaders
This course on time management for supervisors addresses ways to make the best use of valuable time so that participants can accomplish more with less effort daily! This session focuses on practical techniques and information that can be used immediately to gain more control over hectic work schedules. The main objective of this session is to help individuals work more efficiently and productively. By the time this session is over, you should be able to make time-wise decisions, process information more efficiently, and handle communications, interruptions, and emergencies more effectively.
- Time is one of your most valuable assets.
- Define goals, plan, and prioritize.
- Make time-wise decisions and avoid procrastination.
- Delegate and process information efficiently.
- Capitalize on your prime time.
- Handle communications, interruptions, and emergencies effectively.
The Lesson: Employee Engagement & Empowerment
The course provides an overview of what leaders need to know about employee engagement and its impact on business performance, reflecting on Lou Holtz’s writings in Wins, Losses and Lessons. Participants will learn how to engage their work teams and what not to do to inhibit engagement. The workshop includes Lou Holtz’s book, self-assessment, and interactive activities. Participants will be lead through creating an employee engagement action plan to increase their own engagement and the engagement of the members of their organization.
- Proven process for engaging the employees in your organization
- Developing a motivational work environment for employees to boost morale and boost organizational productivity
- Participants will be able to implement the engagement process for improved results
Building Your Culture
“Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.” ― Lou HoltzOpens in new window
Without trusted leaders and peers who are visionary and living the example of the behaviors that are expected, and committed to organizational culture training, true organizational cultural change rarely sustains. Brick by brick, piece by piece, demonstrating organizational culture is key! In this course, participants will learn through the teachings of Lou Holtz’s training Do Right- The Plan, and develop an understanding of organizational landscape and culture. This course is designed to improve the collective capacity to manage organizational change successfully. It is tailored to the specific needs and culture of the organization.
- A shared understanding of what is culture, what is the current reality of our organizational culture, what must be changed?
- Demonstrated options to gain executive support with new ways of working and organizational culture training that include: Clarity of mission, decision making, organizational learning, and encouraging collaboration across boundaries
- Comprehension of the role of a culture champion, specifically
- Teach and practice change leadership and personal resiliency skills that make it easier to foster change across the organization
The Perfect FIT
By applying the time-tested Lou Holtz coaching and development approach, you will learn insights that will assist your organization not only hire the people that best fit your culture, but also shape them into employees who are comfortable in their roles and know their purpose. In this course you will learn from Lou’s If Enough People Care video training and in-class instruction. Building a competitive advantage in the marketplace depends so much on your culture and achieving desired behaviors, and using these insights into employee selection and engagement will benefit your overall organization, and contribute to your bottom line.
- Shape your organization's culture based on desired employee attributes and behaviors, and select people who fit that culture
- Modify aspects of your selection process to ensure you hire good cultural fits
- Develop high-quality communication that strengthens your organization's culture and empowers and motivates employees
- Create a supportive environment through genuine care, including employee recognition, lifestyle support, and eliminating workplace drama
Manual for Leadership Coaching & Innovation
“Do right. Do your best. Treat others as you want to be treated.” ― Lou HoltzOpens in new window
Leadership coaching is needed today more than ever as a critical tool for organizational change. Change is essential for organizations to grow and adapt to today's rapidly shifting marketplace, yet people and organizations are naturally resistant to change. Leadership coaching can facilitate productive change in persons, teams, and systems by enabling leaders, managers, and employees to uncover potential that might otherwise go untapped.
The ability to coach leaders is a core competency for those helping organizations to develop. Through coaching, leaders learn how to optimize the value of teams and organizations. Leadership coaching helps clarify vision, beliefs, and values, and stretches the capacity to lead and influence. Leaders then become catalysts for change within their organizations.
- Learn how personal transformation occurs, through your own experience of transformation
- Increase your ability to reflect, notice, and self-correct
- Gain fluency in the domains of language, body, and emotion
- Understand leadership coaching as organizational intervention
- Define and practice elements of the coaching relationship
- Assemble a coaching toolkit
- Apply the concepts of adult development theory to your coaching and use of self as coach
- Understand and practice team and group coaching
Executive Leadership Venture
Leadership projects are amass in today’s busy organizational environments. In this final eight hour course, participants will work together in a team on a real case scenario. They will work with area business leaders to brainstorm and map out the case strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats. Participants will then present their executive leadership plan and solutions utilizing all of the skills and attributes learned throughout the previous eight courses in this final course in the Lou Holtz Leadership Institute.
- Realistically appraise personal strengths and weaknesses exercising leadership. Participants will actualize leadership in real and complex situations through the case studies.
- Teams will demonstrate their written and oral communication to be clear, coherent, well organized, and technically correct.
- Critically examine organizational culture other than own, and apply the knowledge gained within their personal and professional lives and the LHLI certificate program.