Executive Director, Office of International Services
As a newly created leadership position, the Executive Director, Office of International Services (EDIS) will join Trine University at an exciting time of extraordinary international student enrollment growth with even more expected. As the leader for international student recruitment, enrollment, services, and programming, and English as a Second Language (ESL), the EDIS will play a key role in facilitating international growth management. At the same time the EDIS will develop improved processes, efficiencies, programs, services, resources, and language instruction for the international services sector.
Quickly approaching 200 international students, or 8% of the total undergraduate and graduate student population, Trine’s assertive international recruitment efforts, collaborative partnerships with international universities and organizations, and expansion of academic programs have led to a 400% growth in just a few short years with more growth expected in the near future. Trine offers robust student support services and programming opportunities that enrich the international student experience. All of these efforts, however, require more leadership, management, oversight, and enhancement to accommodate growth and service excellence. Students from Argentina, Botswana, Canada, China, Colombia, Congo, Egypt, Haiti, India, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Ukraine, and Vietnam are currently enrolled in classes or are part of the English as a Second Language (ESL) program.
Overall, Trine University is known for its dedication to students, domestic and international, and committed to their development and success. It is also known for its commitment to quality teaching with engaging/interactive classroom experiences delivered in various modalities including online, on-ground, and blended. It is also known for its excellent career preparedness, high graduation placement rates, innovation and entrepreneurship, and long-standing, excellent academic reputation. The Executive Director, Office of International Services is the leader and chief advocate within the context of the University's international student services.
The Executive Director, Office of International Services reports to the Vice President for Enrollment Management at Trine University and works in close partnership and collaboration with the Dean of the School of Professional Studies. Currently reporting to the EDIS are six staff members: Director of International Admission, Director of International Community Services, ESL Director, ESL Administrative Assistant, and the International Admissions Coordinators for both main campus and School of Professional Studies (SPS).
The EDIS oversees the newly created Office of International Services and its staff, and is responsible for the successful development and implementation of centralized, comprehensive, strategic, systematic, coordinated, and highly efficient processes for the successful intake, assimilation, and academic success of international students including undergraduate and graduate degree-seeking students on the main campus and in SPS, as well as international students in the ESL program. The EDIS will also provide assistance and guidance to the Trine’s Peoria, Arizona campus leadership and staff if it is approved by SEVIS as a host site for international students.
The EDIS will lead the campus-wide processes, policies, and procedures that provide crucial student support services to international students in the areas of recruitment, enrollment, immigration regulations, cultural adjustment, support services, English language instruction, and community interaction/integration. Special international programs for students will be implemented to enhance the academic and student experience for internationals as well as all members of the Trine community in enriching their global awareness and diversity appreciation. The EDIS will also assist or lead as instructed by the Senior Vice President in facilitating current and new international student agreements with various international universities, agencies, and organizations that create academic partnerships and facilitate enrollment of international students at Trine.
The EDIS is responsible for day-to-day operations with a proactive orientation to staff development, customer service excellence for students, and campus awareness and acceptance that complements and serves the academic mission of Trine University and supports a diverse international student body that persists, succeeds and graduates. The EDIS is responsible for working closely with all aspects of the international student experience campus-wide.
The EDIS will be dedicated to providing high quality services to all constituencies of Trine University, and will exhibit the highest professional and ethical standards in recruitment including those of the Trine University and the United States Department of Homeland Security and Department of Education. S/he will also be committed to the tenets of the University's Strategic Plan including its Mission, Vision, Values, and Goals.
The EDIS works in close partnership, collaboration, cooperation, and synergy with the President’s Cabinet and other University faculty and staff in the development and implementation of best practices for international student services.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Will be a person of character, drive, and integrity. He or she will be a leader who can work both autonomously and as a member of a tightly knit team. He or she will have a deep understanding of and commitment to the value of the inherent mission of all higher education institutions.
- Will be dedicated to strengthening the institution’s international student population and their personal and academic success/persistence to degree completion.
- Will represent Trine accurately and enthusiastically to all internal and external constituencies and stakeholders.
- Will demonstrate and implement best practices in international student recruitment, enrollment processes and proficiencies, student retention, financial aid services, student programming, student support services, and campus enhancement of diversity awareness and appreciation.
- Will demonstrate a passion for international student persistence and success in all facets.
- Will have a thorough understanding of contemporary international student issues.
- Will monitor the interface between the University and SEVIS.
- Will lead in the hiring, training, supervision, and evaluation of direct reports and assigned personnel.
- Will be a highly effective leader and staff manager empowering persons to achieve their highest performance levels. S/he will be a coach, teacher, and synergistic team builder.
- Will possess exceptional interpersonal and team leadership skills with a demonstrated commitment to excellent customer service and capacity to motivate and inspire staff.
- Will possess a "can-do" attitude, is poised under pressure, has a thoughtful and creative service orientation, and provides best practices solutions to program development, implementation, problems, and challenges.
- Will be a highly effective organizer and planner with great attention to detail and who can create efficient and effective processes that are efficient, effective and student-centric.
- Will be a problem-solver and exercise good judgment in leadership and conflict resolution skills.
- Will be highly personable, energetic, goal-oriented, ambitious, and success-driven to achieve desired results.
- Will possess a polished, professional demeanor with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Will travel the SPS Regional Center in Fort Wayne and to the Peoria, Arizona campus as necessary.
- Will take on other duties as necessary and assigned.
- Bachelor's degree required, Master’s preferred, from an accredited college/university.
- Must be U.S citizen or permanent resident per Department of Homeland Security regulations.
- Two years of experience in higher education international student enrollment and international student services and programming or a combination thereof.
- Prior experience with English as a Second Language programs preferred.
- Prior experience in student life programming for international students.
- Knowledge of SEVIS regulations and experience working with the SEVIS database.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with cross-cultural sensitivity; ability to work with students and scholars from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- A strong commitment to being a team member, collaborator, and consensus builder.
- Must be able to function independently, be motivated, and show good judgment in leadership and conflict resolution skills.
- International experience such as studying, working, living or traveling abroad and skills in a foreign language, preferred.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Some evening and weekend work will be required.
- Prior experience in international student recruitment with SEVIS DSO authorization.
- Valid driver’s license since travel is required.
- Highly computer literate with proficiency in all Microsoft Office programs.
- Must have or be willing to develop proficiency with Jenzabar student database system.
- Must possess current experience using business management tools; desktop strategic planning, database, spreadsheet, and project management software and college/business wide information technology systems.
Other Requirements: Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
English speaking and writing proficiency is required. Bi-lingual or multi-lingual is a plus but not required. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, and government regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Excellent oral communication skills are required and the ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of prospective students, managers, clients, customers and the general public.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
- Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Ability to correctly interpret and implement compliance with government rules and regulations pertaining to visa issues and hosting international students is paramount.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms. The employee must be able to operate/drive a vehicle for travel purposes. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and sit. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Trine University offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide a variety of choices to best fit your needs and the needs of your family. Benefits offered include:
- Health – medical, dental, vision, prescription drugs, flex spending or HSA accounts
- Retirement – after one year of full-time service you are eligible for employer contribution of 5% and up to an additional 5% employer match
- Life Insurance – a variety of voluntary life options are available along with employee life insurance (1½ times annual salary)
- Education – after 6 months of full-time service education benefits are available for employee, spouse, and dependent children
- Vacation and Sick Pay – in accordance with Trine's policy
See plan documents for benefit details.
The salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Review of applicants begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Trine University is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, national origin, genetic information, citizenship status, military status, or any other basis prohibited by law, unless such basis constitutes a bona fide occupational qualification. Trine will comply with its legal obligation to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and for religious beliefs.