From CPU to code, learn to engineer every part of a computer
The Bachelor of Science in computer engineering program at Trine University focuses on integrating hardware and software. We emphasize computer hardware - from the scale of individual transistors - up through embedded computers, networks, high-level languages, and software engineering.
- We design and implement digital logic and computer systems that meet user-defined specifications.
- We write software that operates on the hardware inside consumer electronics and vehicles.
The degree: Get interactive with computer systems and theory
You can expect discussion and hands-on learning experiences in hardware, software and everything in between, such as:
- Digital logic and computer design
- Programming methodology and languages
- Computer elements and architecture
- Algorithms and data structures
- Real-time embedded systems
Trine University's computer engineering program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org.
The experience: Try your own ideas in the lab
To enhance your in-depth theoretical explorations, you will spend a significant amount of time in our laboratories, which emphasize experimentation as well as design, and are developed around industry practices and demands. This provides you the most immersive, relevant engineering curriculum, giving you the technical knowledge and practical problem-solving skills employers desire.
The result: Successful careers in industry, development and consumer electronics
Over the past 10 years more than 90 percent of our graduates have started their first professional career position within six months of graduation. Many have their first job arranged before they graduate. Most of our graduates go into the commercial world in industries such as aerospace, telecommunications, software development and consumer electronics. Some of our graduates (about 10 percent) decide to go on to graduate school, and some work for federal government agencies.
Senior Design Project: Stair Climbing Robot by students: Joe Brown, Maxwell Frame, Kyler Koets, and Chris Ryan
Computer engineering or software engineering?Trine University offers majors in both software engineering and computer engineering. If you're not sure which one is right for you, consider the following:Computer engineering is focused on designing, developing and operating computer systems. The major concentrates on digital hardware devices and computers, and the software that controls them.Software engineering is centered on building and maintaining software systems. It’s a more software-oriented program and has a greater emphasis on large software applications. The major also highlights the entire software development process, from idea to final product, as well as applying an orderly approach to help ensure products are safe and reliable.
- Wright-Patterson Airforce Base–Summer research.
- Cooper Tire–Computer-controlled manufacturing.
- DLZ–Multi-disciplinary architecture and planning firm.
- BAE Engineering–Aircraft engine controls
- Delphi–Integrated circuit fabrication.
- ITT–Military radio design
- Adaptive Micro-Ware, Fort Wayne, IN The design of digital system for communications
- The Air Force Institute of Technology Graduate study in computer engineering
- BAE Systems, Fort Wayne, IN Control systems for aircraft
- Epic Systems, WI Software engineering for healthcare systems
- ITT Exelis, Fort Wayne, IN The design and test of radio communication systems
- LHP Control Systems Embedded computer for engine control
- Raytheon Net-Centric Systems, Fort Wayne, IN Computer hardware design for communications
- Rockwell Automation Computer-integrated control systems
- ThermoFisher Scientific Clinical and scientific instruments
- University of Notre Dame Semiconductor device research
- Whirlpool, Benton Harbor, MI Embedded computer design for appliances
BS in Computer Engineering