Job Posting - Academic Coordinator, PA Program
Academic Coordinator-Physician Assistant Program
Fort Wayne, Indiana
The position of Academic Coordinator requires an individual who can provide academic and professional leadership within the program, school, university, and community. He/she must be committed to the centrality of a Trine University education and possess the ability to support faculty in achieving excellence in teaching, scholarship, outreach, and engagement. He/she should have a broad understanding of appropriate academic programs and potential future directions; be flexible, visionary, creative and energetic; and possess a demonstrated capacity to lead faculty and staff. He/ she will be responsible for creating and implementing program curriculum while overseeing all aspects of the didactic phase including student progression to the clinical phase. He/ she will participate in the ongoing ARC-PA accreditation process. The Academic Coordinator will provide service to the university, community and the PA profession, while fully supporting Trine’s mission of preparing students to succeed, lead, and serve. The Academic Coordinator reports to the PA Program Director.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
As Academic Coordinator:
- Assist in the design, implementation and evaluation of a practice-oriented curriculum
- Oversee all aspects of didactic phase of curriculum including student progression to the clinical phase
- Interact with faculty and clinical preceptors
- Promote PA program and PA profession to potential students and community
- Participate in selecting applicants for admission to the program
- Participate in comprehensive and ongoing accreditation processes (including self-assessment & analysis)
- Additional duties and assignments as prescribed by the Assistant Program Director, Program Director, School Dean, and/or the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
- Teach 3/4 time graduate load with instruction for the class length as in official schedule (1/4 time release for Academic Coordinator duties)
- Develop, implement and assess curriculum, including creation of syllabus
- Post and maintain office hours (ideally 8 hours per week)
- Assess student competence and performance (including taking attendance and providing formal student evaluations)
- Advise students by providing academic counseling and information on availability of remedial instruction and Student Academic Support Services
- Attend faculty meetings and participates in faculty committees including program strategic plan and accreditation
- Contribute to the Trine University’s greater community with scholarship and service withactivities leading to professional growth and development, which may include publications, presentations, participation in conferences and seminars
- Full-time faculty members who are clinicians are given an opportunity for release time for clinical practice. Others may use the release time for scholarly activity such as research, volunteer service, leadership/administration or pursuit of advanced degree.
- Must be a physican assistant with at least a master’s degree, eligible for licensure in Indiana, and a current NCCPA certification
- Minimum of five (5) years of clinical practice as a PA with a record of excellence
- Proven effective leadership and management in an educational setting, preferably in medical or PA education with preference for experience with PA program development and ARC-PA accreditation
- Previous experience in PA education preferred
- Flexibility, visionary, creative, energetic
- Team player with exceptional people skills
- Detail oriented
- Exemplary personal conduct
- Motivation to create and build upon an innovative quality program
- Attention to duty
- Desire for self-improvement
Trine University offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide a variety of choices to best fit your needs and the needs of your family. Benefits offered include:
- Health – medical, dental, vision, prescription drugs, flex spending or HSA accounts
- Retirement – after one year of full-time service you are eligible for employer contribution of 5% and up to an additional 5% employer match
- Life Insurance – a variety of voluntary life options are available along with employee life insurance (1½ times annual salary)
- Education – after 6 months of full-time service education benefits are available for employee, spouse, and dependent children
- Vacation and Sick Pay – in accordance with Trine's policy
The salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Trine University is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, national origin, genetic information, citizenship status, military status, or any other basis prohibited by law, unless such basis constitutes a bona fide occupational qualification. Trine will comply with its legal obligation to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and for religious beliefs.