Assistant Professor - Criminal Justice
Assistant Professor - Criminal Justice
The position of Assistant Professor requires an individual who can provide excellence in teaching, interested in both their students and their subjects. They must be committed to the centrality of a Trine University education. The Assistant / Associate Professor should have a broad understanding of appropriate academic programs and potential future directions; be flexible, visionary, creative and energetic; and want students to excel and take pleasure in their success. Fair discipline, attention to duty, and desire for self-improvement are expected traits of Trine University Faculty members. Trine is a non-tenured institution that is committed to faculty and student success.
This position seeks a qualified instructor with a Ph.D. in criminal justice or a related field or J.D. is preferred; a master’s degree in these fields will be considered, especially if it is accompanied by significant professional experience. The successful candidate will demonstrate excellence in teaching, participate in the advising of students and will assist in the advising of student organizations related to the department.
Duties and Responsibilities
The position requires an 80/10/10 split that focuses 80% on classroom, 10% on university service, and 10% on scholarship (publications, conference presentations). The professor will do the following: instruct Criminal Justice courses, assist with course/ program development, program assessment, advise students regarding academic issues, will assist in the advising of student organizations related to the department, and provide service to the university in the form of committee work.
- Teach the standard faculty load of twelve (12) semester hours per semester or twenty-four (24) semesters per academic year.
- Post and maintain a regular schedule of at least ten (10) office hours per week – one office hour shall be scheduled per week for each credit hour of instruction.
- Provide instruction (teach class) for the class length listed in the official schedule.
- Prepare and grade a midterm and a final exam or project for each course.
- Provide each student with a course syllabus.
- Submit absentee and deficiency information to Academic Support Services via the Intranet site.
- Assist students with academic deficiencies.
- Advise prospective and current students about curriculum and career opportunities.
- Participate in developing or implementing the department strategic plan.
Applicants should send a detailed CV, a letter describing their qualifications for teaching the classes and copies of undergraduate and graduate transcripts.
Ph.D. in criminal justice or a related field or J.D. is preferred; a master’s degree in these fields will be considered, especially if it is accompanied by significant professional experience.
Trine University offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide a variety of choices to best fit your needs and the needs of your family. Some benefits offered include:
- Health – medical, dental, vision, flex spending, HSA accounts
- Life Insurance – a variety of voluntary life options are available along with an employer paid employee life policy valued at 1½ times annual salary
- Financial Insurance – employer paid Long Term Disability and voluntary Short-Term Disability, Accident, Hospital Indemnity, and Critical Illness options are available
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Retirement – after one year of full-time service you are eligible for an employer contribution of 5% and up to an additional 5% employer match
- Education – after 6 months of full-time service, undergraduate education benefits are available for employee, spouse, and dependent children
Rank and salary will be based on qualifications
Are you ready to join Trine?
Trine University is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, national origin, genetic information, citizenship status, military status, or any other basis prohibited by law, unless such basis constitutes a bona fide occupational qualification. Trine will comply with its legal obligation to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and for religious beliefs.