Assistant / Associate Professor in Communication

Assistant / Associate Professor - Communication

Angola, Indiana



The Department of Humanities and Communication at Trine University invites applications for a full-time assistant/associate Communication professor position with a generalist background. Trine is a private institution in northeast Indiana that prides itself on its 99% job placement rate for graduates.

Teaching load is 4/4 and will be a mix of general education classes such as Public Speaking and upper- level Communication classes varying from PR to Media Writing and Production. We are a collaborative department that prides itself in sharing teaching opportunities amongst the faculty.

High quality teaching is our first priority; however, faculty members are expected to engage in professional development activities and develop/maintain appropriate industrial contacts, as well as student advising. Service to the department and the university is highly valued. This can take many forms from advising student media, working in university sports broadcasting, advising student organizations, assisting with the many departmental activities, and helping to grow the Communication majors.

We have an 80/10/10 split in faculty expectations with 80% of your time to be focused on teaching and the remaining 20% to be split amongst service and research.

Although Trine University does not have tenure, faculty retention is outstanding.


The ideal candidate will have:

  • Professional work experience in public relations or other relevant fields;
  • A demonstrated record of excellence and innovation in teaching;
  • Some background in theatre, acting, or stage production
  • A commitment to service as a student advisor, student organization advisor, and active member of an undergraduate teaching team.

Education and/or Experience

A terminal degree in Communication or closely related discipline is preferred; Minimum qualification for the position is a Master’s degree in Communication or closely related discipline. We encourage MA and MFA recipients to apply!


A terminal degree in Communication or closely related discipline is preferred; Minimum qualification for the position is a Master’s degree in Communication or closely related discipline.

Outstanding Benefits

Trine University offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide a variety of choices to best fit your needs and the needs of your family. Some benefits offered include:                     

  • Health – medical, dental, vision, flex spending, HSA accounts
  • Life Insurance – a variety of voluntary life options are available along with an employer paid employee life policy valued at 1½ times annual salary
  • Financial Insurance – employer paid Long Term Disability and voluntary Short-Term Disability, Accident, Hospital Indemnity, and Critical Illness options are available
  • Paid vacation and sick time
  • Retirement – after one year of full-time service you are eligible for an employer contribution of 5% and up to an additional 5% employer match                        
  • Education – after 6 months of full-time service, undergraduate education benefits are available for employee, spouse, and dependent children


Rank and salary will be based on qualifications.

Are you ready to join Trine?


Trine University is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, national origin, genetic information, citizenship status, military status, or any other basis prohibited by law, unless such basis constitutes a bona fide occupational qualification. Trine will comply with its legal obligation to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and for religious beliefs.