The controller will handle high-level accounting, managerial accounting, and oversee the financial activities of the University. As head of the accounting department, the controller will manage and supervise all aspects of accounting, including tax compliance. Will report to the VP for Finance, and will assist with the development of internal control policies, procedures, and financial planning as needed. Target date to fill position is May 2021.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Guides financial decisions by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing policies and procedures.
- Protects assets by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing internal controls.
- Maintains financial staff job results by coaching and counseling employees; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results. Recommend necessary trainings, as needed.
- Knowledge of all accounting processes, ensuring accurate reporting on the GL
- Prepare monthly investment entry, and other month end tasks
- Manage the month end close process, ensuring a timely and accurate close
- Oversee monthly endowment accounting, and perform annual endowment payout allocations and entries
- Assist with grant management and proper recording on the GL
- Work with Development to record stock gifts appropriately and adhere to the gift acceptance policy
- Responsible for on-going updating and monitoring of cash projections, including approval of the weekly AP check runs
- Monitor the annual salary budget by working with the HR department to accurately record payroll
- Oversee procurement efforts with staff accountants
- Assist with work flow of staff accountants at peak times
- Assist with athletic reports, IPEDS, and other annual reporting
- Maximize software utilization with business office platforms
- Support budget module and maintain accounts, permissions, etc.
- Assist in preparation of the annual budget process
- Coordinate information for the annual financial statement audit
- Coordinate information for the 990 tax form
- Maintain compliance for 1099, 1098T and WBEN tax forms
- Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings
- Monitor and respond to all IRS correspondence
- Process international taxes
- Work closely with VP of Finance on various reporting
- Other duties as assigned
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, finance, business administration, or related area and three years of related experience. Master’s degree or CPA License is preferred.
Trine University offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide a variety of choices to best fit your needs and the needs of your family. Some benefits offered include:
- Health – medical, dental, vision, flex spending, HSA accounts
- Life Insurance – a variety of voluntary life options are available along with an employer paid employee life policy valued at 1½ times annual salary
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Retirement – after one year of full-time service you are eligible for an employer contribution of 5% and up to an additional 5% employer match
- Education – after 6 months of full-time service, undergraduate education benefits are available for employee, spouse, and dependent children
The salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Trine University is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, national origin, genetic information, citizenship status, military status, or any other basis prohibited by law, unless such basis constitutes a bona fide occupational qualification. Trine will comply with its legal obligation to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and for religious beliefs.