Associate of Applied Science in Surgical Technology
Located in Fort Wayne, Indiana
The Associate of Applied Science in surgical technology program at Trine University is designed to prepare students to succeed, lead and serve the community and the Certified Surgical Technology profession. The program is located in the growing Trine University Fort Wayne education center on the Parkview Hospital Randallia campus in Fort Wayne, Indiana.
Learn more about the courses.
The surgical technology program will be the beginning of a lifelong journey in the pursuit of knowledge, professional development and personal growth. The program is committed to maintaining the highest moral, ethical and academic standards.
In the operating room, surgical technologists work closely with surgeons, anesthesiologists, registered nurses and other personnel to provide direct patient care. Prior to a procedure, surgical technologists prepare the operating room by ensuring the proper equipment, instrumentation, supplies and solutions are available and ready. During a procedure, surgical technologists anticipate the needs of the surgeon by passing the appropriate instruments and supplies, managing the sterile field, and caring for specimens. Other duties include holding retractors, cutting sutures as directed, and measuring and passing medications and hemostatic agents.
Surgical technologists are experts in sterile technique, combining knowledge of human anatomy, surgical procedures, and medical tools and technologies to effectively assist physicians as they perform invasive procedures.
Students in the Associate of applied science in surgical technology program will:
- Train in surgical suites that simulate clinical sites
- Begin clinical experiences in the first semester, continuing until graduation
- Learn surgical instrumentation, supplies and sutures
- Learn surgical procedures to anticipate the needs of the surgeon and provide the necessary instruments, supplies and sutures
- Complete a minimum of 120 surgical procedures.
Graduates will enter an occupation with fast growth and a median salary of $46,310 in 2017, according to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics.
For more information about this exciting field, contact Jennifer Lloyd, director of Surgical Technology, at (260) 702-8058 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Surgery centers
- Surgery scheduling
- Materials management or sterile processing
- Private employment with surgeons
- Travel agencies for Surgical Technologists
- Surgical Technology education