If you want to meet a critical need while positively impacting the lives of students, a Bachelor of Science with a major in mathematics education at Trine University may add up for you.
According to the U.S. Department of Education, 44 states reported shortages of mathematics teachers for the 2019-20 school year. Once you graduate, you will be equipped to meet this critical need.
The degree: Math plus strategy
In addition to a strong mathematics foundation, Bachelor of Science with a major in mathematics education program focuses on the interdisciplinary nature of curriculum by designing and implementing classroom learning through multiple instructional strategies.
Trine University offers special education licensure programs for preschool through 12th grade, allowing you to add special education licensure within your four-year degree program at Trine. If you are interested in pursuing special education licensure, talk to your faculty advisor.
The experience: Extensive time in the field
Like all Franks School of Education programs, extensive field experiences in diverse settings are required beginning in the first year of coursework. The Bachelor of Science with a major in mathematics education program is grounded in state and national standards in order to help you prepare your future students with 21st century skills.
Our faculty come from a variety of backgrounds and experiences all related to classroom teaching, advanced research and preparing future teachers. The academically rigorous teacher education program focuses on:
- Student-centered instruction in a safe learning environment
- Evidence-based instructional strategies
- Classroom management techniques
- Innovative integration of classroom technology so you can earn Google Classroom certification
The result: Be highly prepared for your teaching career
Graduates from the Franks School of Education have demonstrated high levels of success, including:
- 100 percent of recently surveyed principal employers indicated the Franks School of Education provided teacher training that was relevant, effective, and improved P-12 student learning.
- 100 percent of recently surveyed principal employers shared that Trine teacher graduates are more prepared in comparison to other teacher education programs.
Area school districts where students participate in field experiences and student teaching include, though are not limited to:
- Bronson Community Schools (Michigan)
- Coldwater Community Schools (Michigan)
- Sturgis Community Schools (Michigan)
- MSD of Steuben County Schools (Indiana)
- Prairie Heights Community Schools (Indiana)
- Hamilton Community Schools (Indiana)
- Fremont Community Schools (Indiana)
- Fort Wayne Community Schools (Indiana)
- Garrett, Keyser Butler Community Schools (Indiana)
- DeKalb County Central United School District (Indiana)
- DeKalb Eastern Community Schools (Indiana)
- Quincy Community Schools (Michigan)
- Edgerton Local School District (Ohio)
- Edon-Northwest Local School District (Ohio)
- Central Noble Community Schools (Indiana)
- East Noble Community Schools (Indiana)
- West Noble Community Schools (Indiana)
- Lakeland Community Schools (Indiana)
You have many opportunities for rewarding careers and advanced studies.
Explore the Possibilities:
- Grade-level or content department chair
- Building principal
- Assistant superintendent
- Curriculum director
- Child care worker
- Publications advisor (yearbooks, newspaper, etc.)
- Community agency director
- Graduate student
BS in Mathematics Education