PA Direct Entry
This policy will be in effect for undergraduate direct entry candidates for Fall 2023
Trine University holds 15 seats for those who qualify for the Direct Entry Pathway. Direct entry can be achieved through selecting a 3+2.5 option, three years of accelerated undergraduate work followed by the seven-semester master's program, or the more traditional 4+2.5 option, four years of undergraduate work plus seven semesters of the master's program in physician assistant studies. Direct entry is a highly selective program limited to 15 students each year on a first come first serve basis.
Trine University Direct Entry Pathway Criteria:
- A high school transcript showing a minimum 3.50 GPA (4.0 scale)
- A minimum ACT Composite of 25 or SAT (R+M) 1210 or test optional
- Major in biology, biochemistry, chemistry, or biomedical engineering
- Maintain a Trine undergraduate overall GPA ≥ 3.50
- Achieve a Trine undergraduate overall science prerequisite GPA ≥ 3.50
- Must achieve a B or better in the following prerequisite courses:
- BIO 114
- CH 104
- CH 114
- Complete a CASPA application
- Must have completed ≥ 200 hours of health care experience including, but not limited to, health care experience or patient contact
- Successfully complete a Trine University Bachelor's degree
- Must meet all other applicable admissions standards
- Must be a citizen or legal resident of the United States or Canada (with proper qualifications to study in the US)
- Must meet the Technical Standards
- No history of felony conviction, as defined by U.S. Code
PA Direct Entry Admission Process
- An admitted Trine University student will need to complete the Application for Direct Entry into the PA program and agree to the Technical Standards (deadline: May 1).
- Included in the application, a student will also need to submit a brief essay describing how any extra-curricular activities or work-related experiences may have prepared you for a career as a physician assistant
- Candidates will be contacted for an Interview with a Trine University PA program admission representative
- Once admitted to Direct Entry, a formal letter of admission from the Director of the Physician Assistant program will be sent to the applicant. This will include a Letter of Intent, which must be signed, dated, and returned to the Trine University Master of Physician Assistant Studies Program by June 1. If the letter is not returned by June 1, the next person on the waitlist will be admitted to Direct Entry.
* A plan of study that enables students to complete their undergraduate degree in 4 years while also meeting all PA program admission requirements must be approved by the undergraduate program chair, and the PA program director. ** Students in the Direct Admit degree program will not be eligible to receive any institutional scholarships during the years when they are considered a graduate student. (For 3+2.5 students, this is years four, five, and six. For 4+2.5 students, this is years five, six and seven.) Students are encouraged to investigate alternative funding opportunities to complete graduate school during these last years.