A Trine University faculty member had an article published in The Teaching Professor, an online newsletter for college educators.
Trine University’s oldest engineering discipline, dating to 1902, the Bachelor of Science in civil engineering program provides BIG university opportunities in a small, student-friendly environment. Like big state schools, each of the five major civil engineering disciplines — structural engineering, geotechnical engineering, transportation engineering, environmental engineering and water resources engineering — are represented well within Trine’s curriculum and faculty.
The degree: Broad foundation with opportunities to focus
Introductory courses for each of the five disciplines are required in the Bachelor of Science in civil engineering, so you will develop a broad civil engineering foundation. Senior-level design courses are also available in each discipline, allowing you to focus your education on the areas that interest you most.
The experience: Personal attention, hands-on learning
As part of the Bachelor of Science in civil engineering program at Trine, you will experience:
- Small , interactive classes, typically with 10-30 students
- Active learning strategies
- Faculty with open-door policies who know your name
- Ten courses with integrated laboratories
- Engineering site visits
- Design projects in upper-level civil engineering courses
- A capstone senior design project
Additional hands-on development opportunities available to all civil engineering students include:
- Regional and national design competitions
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) student group, recently named among the top in the nation
- Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE) student group
- Engineers Without Borders (EWB) student group
- Engineering internships
- Cooperative work experience
- Undergraduate research
The result: Preparation for professional exams and a successful career
By the year 2026, significant job growth is expected in the field, adding 11 percent more civil engineers and 8 percent more environmental engineers (U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics).
As a civil engineering graduate from Trine University, you will be able to:
- Prepare for and pass the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam
- Obtain an exciting, well-paying job in the discipline of your choice
- Get accepted for graduate studies (master’s and/or doctoral)
- Be prepared to pass the Principles of Engineering (PE) exam
- Become a licensed Professional Engineer (PE)
Recent firms offering opportunities for Co-op and Internships in the Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering include:
- City of Angola: Angola, IN
- American Structurepoint: Indianapolis, IN
- Patriot Engineering: Ft. Wayne and Indianapolis, IN
- City of Medina: Medina, OH
- Michigan Department of Transportation: Various locations
- Indiana Department of Transportation: Various locations
- Elkhart County Highway Dept.: Elkhart, IN
- ISTI Plant Services: Tulsa, OK
- Cives Steel Company: Wolcott, IN
- Commonwealth Associates: Jackson, MI
- LaGrange County: LaGrange, IN
- City of Elkhart Public Works and Utilities: Elkhart, IN
- CrossRoad Engineers: Indianapolis, IN
- City of Ft. Wayne: Ft. Wayne, IN
- NUCOR Corporation: Waterloo, IN
- VULCRAFT: St. Joe, IN
- Lawson-Fisher Associates: South Bend, IN
- Ohio Department of Transportation: Various locations
- HNTB: Jackson, MI
- Woolpert, Inc.: Various locations
- RQAW Consulting Engineers & Architects: Indianapolis, IN
- Troyer Group: Mishawaka, IN
- Wood Patel: Phoenix, AZ
Civil Engineers design many of the facilities that we use every day, such as roads, buildings, and bridges. Civil Engineers also design dams and water and waste water treatment plants. If you enjoy getting out of the office, civil engineering could be for you, since most civil engineers are also very involved in the construction of these facilities.
Firms hiring recent graduates include:
- Michigan Department of Transportation: Transportation Engineer
- Indiana Department of Transportation: Transportation Engineer
- Nucor Building Systems in Waterloo, IN: Structural Design Engineer
- Engineering Resources Inc. in Ft. Wayne, IN: Structural Design Engineer
- Office of the City Engineer in Archbold, Ohio: Civil Engineer
- City of Ft. Wayne Utilities Department in Ft. Wayne, IN : Civil Engineer
- Corporate Construction, Inc. in Auburn, IN: Project Manager/Estimator
- CrossRoad Engineers in Indianapolis, IN: Civil Engineer
- Marathon Ashland Petroleum of Ohio: Pipeline Engineer
- American Structurepoint in Indianapolis, IN: Civil Engineer
- Patriot Engineering in Fort Wayne, IN: Geotechnical Engineer
- Lawon-Fisher Associates in South Bend, IN: Civil Engineer
- Cives Steel Company in Wolcott, IN: Civil Engineer
- Miller Brothers Construction in Archbold, Ohio: Civil Engineer
- Commonwealth Associates, Inc. in Jackson, MI : Civil Engineer
- Commonwealth Engineers, Inc. in Indianapolis, IN: Environmental and Hydraulic Engineers
- Brooks Construction Company , Inc. in Goshen, IN: Project Manager
- Vulcraft in St. Joe, IN: Engineering Manager and Design Engineer
- Ter Horst, Lamson & Fisk, Inc. in Indianapolis, IN: Structural Engineer
- Alt & Witzig Engineering, Inc. in Carmel, IN: Project Engineer
- Butler, Fairman and Seufert in Indianapolis, IN: Airport Engineer
- RQAW Consulting Engineers & Architects, Indianapolis, IN
- Troyer Group, Mishawaka, IN
How is the job market?
Trine civil engineering students are in great demand. In recent years, our job placement for Trine civil engineers has been exceptional! In fact, during the economic slow-down of 2001, our 19 graduates had a total of 46 job offers! Our students are working in major cities and small towns throughout the US.
4 + 1 Degree Path
This degree has a pathway for you to complete both your undergraduate and graduate studies within five years. Learn more about the Four Plus One degree path.
Three Years Full Throttle
This degree has a pathway for you to complete your undergraduate degree in three years. Learn more about the Three Years Full Throttle degree path.
BS in Civil Engineering
Careers in Civil Engineering
Trine University honored three distinguished graduates with alumni awards during its annual Touchstone and Homecoming Celebration Dinner on Oct. 6. Trine University inducted four distinguished former athletes into its Athletics Hall of Fame during the annual Touchstone and Homecoming Celebration Dinner on Oct. 6.
Latest Civil Engineering News
Trine University honored three distinguished graduates with alumni awards during its annual Touchstone and Homecoming Celebration Dinner on Oct. 6.
Trine University inducted four distinguished former athletes into its Athletics Hall of Fame during the annual Touchstone and Homecoming Celebration Dinner on Oct. 6.