BS Civil Engineering Objectives and Outcomes
The following educational objectives have been developed for the civil engineering program at Trine University:
- Graduates will effectively prepare and present written and verbal proposals, design reports, drawings and other technical information to a diverse audience.
- Graduates demonstrate the importance of teamwork and leadership in executing projects, including their role within the team and their impact on the scope, budget, and schedule of the project.
- Graduates can effectively use state of the practice engineering tools.
- Graduates can analyze and design a structure, system or process, taking into consideration the legal, ethical and other societal impacts of the design.
- Graduates take an active role in professional development including achieving professional licensure and active participation in professional societies.
- Graduates are engaged in business aspects of the profession, including marketing, budgeting, client or public interaction, and contracting.
As specified by the accrediting body, engineering programs assure that their students will be able to:
- apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering;
- design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data ;
- design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability;
- function on multidisciplinary teams;
- identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems ;
- demonstrate professional and ethical responsibility;
- communicate effectively;
- use the broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context;
- recognize the need for, and an ability to engage in, life-long learning;
- discuss contemporary issues; and
- use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools, necessary for engineering practice.