Professor with students

DPT Frequently Asked Questions

Is it possible to schedule a visit to your facilities?

Absolutely! Prospective applicants and their guests are always welcome to visit the Trine DPT Program, tour our facilities and speak with faculty. Please contact us via email at to schedule your visit.

When will the Trine DPT Program begin accepting applications for the next DPT class?

Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis. We have a rolling admissions cycle.

What is the cost of out-of-state tuition for Trine University's DPT program?

Trine University is a private institution so tuition is the same for all students, regardless of their state residency.

Can I apply to the Trine DPT program directly from high school?

Yes. We offer a Direct Entry program to qualified students leading to a bachelor's degree in either exercise science or biology and a Doctorate in Physical Therapy.

Learn more about the pre-Physical Therapy professional track and Direct Entry program.

For those with a bachelor degree, what are the requirements to enter DPT Program?

Please review our admissions requirement page.

What is the deadline for registration to the DPT Program?

There is no deadline per se for application into the DPT Program, however, the earlier you apply and begin the process the better your chances are to securing an interview and being considered for the next available opening. We will continue to accept applications on a rolling basis until all seats in the program have been filled.

Is there a fee for applying to the Trine DPT Program?

There is no cost to prospective students to apply to the Trine DPT degree program.

Do I need to pass GRE?

The GRE is required. Trine’s school code is 1811.

Is Trine University's DPT program accredited?

Yes. The Doctor of Physical Therapy Program at Trine University is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE), 1111 North Fairfax Street, Alexandria, Virginia 22314; telephone: 703-706-3245; email:; website:

What are the outcomes for graduates of Trine’s DPT Program?

  • For the Class of 2017 the graduation rate was 100%, the NPTE-PT* ultimate pass rate is currently 30 of 32 (93.8%), and the employment rate is 100%**
  • For the Class of 2018 the graduation rate was 100%, the NPTE-PT* ultimate pass rate is currently 28 of 29 (96.6%), and the employment rate is 100%**
*NPTE-PT is the National Physical Therapy Examination for Physical Therapists, required for licensure. **Employment rate is the % of graduates who sought employment who were employed within one year of graduation.


When selecting applicants for the Trine DPT program, are Trine students given special consideration?

Yes, Trine students are given special consideration.

Can I transfer from another DPT program to the Trine DPT program?

No. Students coming from other programs may apply for acceptance into the program, but they must begin with the first semester and complete the full DPT curriculum.

I am a PTA, can I transfer some credits from the courses I took in the past? Are any of the classes from my PTA degree eligible for transfer toward the admission requirement?

In order to answer this question, we need to know the institution that conferred the PTA degree and the courses that need to be considered for the admission requirements. Please feel free to contact us for further assistance

Where is the DPT program located?

Our Program is located at 1819 Carew St., Fort Wayne, IN 46805, between the campuses of Parkview Randallia hospital and the VA hospital.

What is the expected tuition cost?

For details, please visit our Cost and Investment page.

How many students are accepted into the Trine DPT program yearly?

Thirty-two (32) students are accepted each year to begin the DPT program.

What does the pre-physical therapy major mean? Will I be able to graduate with a degree in physical therapy from Trine or does that mean that at a certain point I will have to transfer?

We have two pre-physical therapy majors:

    • Exercise Science / Pre-PT
    • Biology / Pre-PT

These majors prepare a student for the Trine graduate physical therapy program and result in a bachelor's of science degree in either Exercise Science or Biology. These majors are for students who are accepted into the six-year plan of study for the Doctor of Physical Therapy program.

If you are not eligible for these pre-PT majors, you can still enroll in any undergraduate major and complete the courses required for application to the DPT program. These courses are similar or the same as the requirements of most DPT programs. Completion of the prerequisites is most easily accomplished in the Biology and Exercise Science undergraduate majors.

Learn more about our pre-physical therapy professional track and direct admit programs.

I am currently filling out the online application for the DPT program, and I have a question what the highest degree is that I have earned. Should I put "high school" or "Bachelor of Science" since that is what I will have prior to entering the DPT program?

You should indicate your current highest earned degree. We will review all transcripts to determine if a student is likely to hold a bachelor's degree in time to enter the DPT program.

Can I work while I am in DPT school?

Due to the time intensive nature of the program, employment is discouraged.

Can I go to PT school part-time?

No. This is a three-year, full-time program.

Does Trine provide housing for DPT students?

Not at this time. Students will need to secure their housing from one of the many options in the Fort Wayne area,

Does Trine award scholarships for students enrolled in the DPT program?

No. We do not currently have the funding to support DPT scholarships.

What are the requirements for financial aid at Trine?

Financial aid questions should be directed to the Office of Financial Aid located at the main Trine campus in  Angola. Contact information is as follows:

Call: 260.665.4158 or 800.347.4878
Fax: 260.665.4511

Office hours are Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.–5 p.m.

Does my degree in physical therapy allow me to practice physical therapy?

No. The degree in physical therapy is a requirement to sit for the state licensure examination. State licensure is required to practice physical therapy.

What are the requirements to practice as a physical therapist?

In order to practice as a licensed physical therapist in the United States, an individual must be a graduate of a program accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE) and pass a licensure examination. Completion of an accredited program does not automatically guarantee that the individual can practice as a physical therapist.

How can I learn more?

Check out other pages on this website, or email You also can download our Student Handbook.

Fort Wayne Area Interprofessional Education Consortium: Better Healthcare for our Community