PA Immunization Policy
All expenses incurred in obtaining a physical, necessary laboratory tests, immunizations and additional health requirements are the responsibility of the student.
Annual Tuberculosis (TB) Screening:
- 2-step Mantoux at entry OR serum test for tuberculosis
- Annual Mantoux OR serum test for TB
- If positive TB screen, then negative Chest X-Ray is required
Required Titers (completed prior to start of the program)
Titers are required to be positive and demonstrate proof of immunity to:
- Rubeola (Measles)
- Rubella (German measles)
- Hepatitis B
See below for required immunizations if titers are negative.
- Tetanus/Diphtheria/Pertussis: proof of adult booster within the past 10 years
- Influenza vaccine for current year (annual)
- Others as identified above based on outcome of above titers
If titers are Negative:
- Hepatitis B: 3 new doses; retest anti-HBs 1-2 months after 3rd dose
- MMR (any negative): 2 doses (no retest)
- Varicella: 2 doses (no retest)
If there is medical contraindication to any required immunization(s), verification from the primary healthcare provider must accompany the health record. When any medical contraindication exists, a waiver must be signed by the student to acknowledge that inadvertent exposure might occur and to release the clinical site and university from liability in the event of exposure. If a student elects to waive an immunization requirement(s), placement in a clinical setting cannot be guaranteed. As such, the student may be deemed unable to complete the required clinical education coursework.
Additional Health Requirements
Some clinical education sites have additional health requirements (drug screens, meningococcal vaccine, etc.). Student assigned to or wishing to pursue educational experiences at these sited must meet their requirements.