PA Admission Requirements*
Pre-PA Undergraduate program and PA Direct Entry Admissions - [ Learn More ]
The pre-PA professional track is designed for students preparing to apply to a Master of Physician Assistant Studies program. This track can be associated with majors in biology, biochemistry, chemistry, or biomedical engineering.
First-year students who have achieved superior academic performance in high school may apply for the Trine University PA Direct Entry program.
PA Graduate Admission - [ CASPA Application ]
There is no advanced placement standing/transfer of credits in the PA graduate program.
Graduate admission requirements for the Trine University Master of Physician Assistant Studies* include:
- Completion of a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution prior to entry into the PA program. The degree does not have to be in a science major but the applicant must have successfully completed all required prerequisite coursework.
- Prerequisite course work taken at a regionally accredited US college or university or equivalent.
AP or dual enrollment credit courses can be used toward the undergraduate degree and statistics and psychology but not for hard sciences pre-requisites.
- One semester of statistics (minimum 3 semester hours or equivalent quarter hours)
- One semester of psychology (minimum 3 semester hours or equivalent quarter hours)
- One semester of medical terminology (minimum 1 semester hour or equivalent quarter hours) or valid certificate of completion
The following are required to be of a rigorous nature designed for science majors as opposed to lower level survey courses:
- One semester of microbiology with lab (minimum 3 semester hours or equivalent quarter hours)
- One semester of organic chemistry with lab (minimum 3 semester hours or equivalent quarter hours)
- Two semesters of human anatomy and physiology with lab (minimum 6 semester hours or equivalent quarter hours)
- One semester of biochemistry (minimum 3 semester hours or equivalent quarter hours)
Prerequisite courses must have no course grade lower than C or else must be successfully repeated at the same or higher level and credit hours.
- Complete the CASPA application online
- Letters of recommendation: At least two academic or professional letters of recommendation
- Completion of the GRE General test within the last 5 years
- Discernment into the profession such as health care experience/patient contact
- All applicants must meet the Technical Standards
- All applicants must be a US citizen or legal resident
- Competitive applicants will usually apply with more than the minimum requirements
- A combined verbal / quantitative score on the GRE General Test of 300 or above
- Quantitative GRE over 150
- Analytical Writing GRE result of 3.5 or above
- A prerequisite GPA of 3.0 or above
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above
- Preference for other relevant science coursework earning a C or better
- Highly recommend one course in genetics
Additional information can be found on our Frequently Asked Questions page.
Applications will be reviewed by the PA Program Admission Committee. A recommendation may be made to the School of Health Sciences Dean for conditional admission. Up to 10 seats may be reserved for direct admissions/articulating applicants.
Transfer of Credit Policy
The PA program at Trine University does not accept transfer students/ credits into the Direct Admissions or Graduate Program. The PA graduate program does not permit credit by examination, nor does it award advanced placement.
Additional information can be found on our Frequently Asked Questions page.Trine University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, disability, veteran status or age in the administration of any of its educational programs, admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, athletic and other school-administered programs, or in employment. However, students are informed that the process of becoming a PA requires the completion of a graduate education program which is intellectually, as well as, physically challenging and rigorous, that the candidate should be able to perform in a reasonably independent manner, and that reasonable accommodation does not mean that students with disabilities are exempt from certain tasks.
*The ARC-PA has granted Accreditation-Provisional status to the Trine University Physician Assistant Program sponsored by Trine University. Accreditation-Provisional is an accreditation status granted when the plans and resource allocation, if fully implemented as planned, of a proposed program that has not yet enrolled students appear to demonstrate the program’s ability to meet the ARC-PA Standards or when a program holding Accreditation-Provisional status appears to demonstrate continued progress in complying with the Standards as it prepares for the graduation of the first class (cohort) of students. Accreditation-Provisional does not ensure any subsequent accreditation status. It is limited to no more than five years from matriculation of the first class.